Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Stalking

Chapter 12 introduces stalking and homicide. It goes into detail about what stalking is and gives different examples of stalking such as following, harassment, threats, etc. It also gives us great insight as to who the perpetrators of stalking are and their characteristics. We learn that it is seen as a gender-neutral crime, but the majority are males. I chose this chapter because I am very interested in the topic of "cyberstalking". This hits close to home as I was a victim of harassment on the web- cyberstalking, and that is why I wish to write about it now and research it. I am also interested in how this affects teens and the types of violence it creates such as suicide/homicide. This is an important topic as more and more crimes are committed on individuals due to the increased level of technology and social networks.
*All the yellow texts represent different hyperlinks. To view articles, webpages, or videos, just click on any title






TEENS, TECHNOLOGY, AND CYBERSTALKING: THE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE WAVE OF THE FUTURE?
I chose this article because it talks about how technology might be creating a new wave of domestic violence. It explains that the internet is a powerful source and given all the personal information that is stored on the web, makes it easier for stalkers to find information about their target. Using the information to locate them, as well as possible take the information they find and use is, falsifying themselves as the victim. Also devices like BlackBerries or other cellphones which have GPS, makes it easier as well for stalkers to locate their victims. They can easily download undetectable spywear and can use the GPA feature to determine exactly the location of the device at all times. The link takes you to the full article which also goes into detail about teenagers and how technology influences stalking and harassment between relationships.

Texas Journal of Women & the Law
; Spring2011, Vol. 20 Issue 2, p131-164, 34p 
King-Ries, A. (2010). teens, technology, and cyberstalking: the domestic violence wave of the future?. Retrieved from http://works.bepress.com/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=andrew_kingries

YouTube video: Stalking Made Easy
                             

Internet Sites 
The National Institute of Justice site gives information about stalking such as policies, prosecutions of stalkers, statistics and definitions, and resources for victims.
National Institute of Justice


The Stalking Resource Center gives victims of stalking information and resources as to how to make themselves safe. I think it's important because it highlights safety planning and the importance of advocates in helping create these safety plans.

The news article below is about Kristen Pratt who was a victim of cyberstalking. She has had much stress and emotional anxiety due to the stalker sending her threatening messages through email/Facebook and Twitter, phone calls, and videos about him killing her or threatening her. Cyberstalking does happen and there needs to be more awareness about it and ways to protect ourselves.

'The fear never leaves me': Chilling ordeal of woman bombarded by threats from cyber stalker who terrorized her for months

I also wanted to include this article because it is a notorious case of cyberstalking (cyberbullying) about a young girl, Megan Meier who committed suicide after an online hoax.

Parents: Cyber Bullying Led to Teen's Suicide


 The Stalker Song

Imagine me and you, I do
I think about you day and night
It's only right to think about the girl I stalk
Each day and night,
So happy together.

I dated you, for just a week
You dumped me and I cried real hard
And still can't sleep.
So now I'll have to force you to come back to me,
So happy together.

I can't see me stalking nobody but you for all your life
When you're with me baby the skies will be blue
For all my life.

I call you up at 2 am
I wake you and hang up the phone
And do it again.
That's what you get for goin' out with other men,
So happy together.

I can't see me stalking nobody but you for all your life
When you're with me baby the skies will be blue
For all my life.

I see you, you don't see me
I'm hidden with my telephoto lense up in the tree
You're walking and you look around, suspiciously,
So happy together.

"Hey...sugar...I like your eyebrows....no no that's kinda lame.
I got it, I got it. Hey baby, it's me again....surprise! That's a good
one, I like that, surprise, haha."

I've got your cat, don't be alarmed,
As long as you come talk to me,
He won't be harmed
We'll go and get a bite to eat
I'll come unarmed
So happy together...forever and ever...so happy together.









No comments:

Post a Comment